For those who want their home theater to be more than just an empty footprint for all of your electronics, the Onkyo TX-SR494 A/V receiver provides a rich audio experience with seven channels and HDMI ports. With Dolby Atmos® soundtracks as well as HDR support in movies or games on 4K resolutions at 60 frames per second; this device will immerse you like never before!
The AccuEQ is a great option for those who want to experience Dolby Atmos in their home. The virtualizer technology places sound overhead or behind, depending on your preference, and both DTS Virtual: X® and Surround Sound is onboard so you can enjoy it no matter how large the space maybe! Also, read our review of the Onkyo TX-RZ50.
New technologies make this possible with rear speakers providing surround sound as well as powered zone b audio options available if needed too – all from one system.
- 160 watts per channel
- Supports 4K/60p and HDR (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, BT.2020)
- 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos and DTS:X playback
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer and DTS Virtual:X
- AccuEQ with subwoofer EQ and AccuReflex
Table of Contents
Onkyo TX-SR494 Features
Onkyo TX-SR494 A/V Receiver: Get the most out of your movies and shows with this versatile receiver, which features six HDMI inputs for connecting BD players or other video sources.
Must read: Onkyo TX-NR777
It’ll also pass HDR content from streaming services like Netflix to compatible TVs (and projectors). With Dolby Vision®, HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma), and more on offer too!
- Multi-dimensional immersive sound to enhance movie and gaming experiences
- Support for Dolby Atmos, the next generation in positional audio technology
- Take your sound to a whole new level with 7 channels and HDMI ports
- Play 4K HDR content without any lag or stuttering
- High-quality construction that ensures reliability
- The TX-SR494 receiver is compatible with Dolby Atmos® soundtracks to create a rich, immersive sound experience
- This device allows you to intensify your favorite movies or games by being able to output HDR at 4K resolutions at 60 frames per second
- You can control the SR494 using remote apps on your cell phone so you never have to leave the comfort of your couch!
- True surround sound can now be achieved with rear speakers
- Powerful amplifier with 3D ready HDMI ports
- Onboard DTS Virtual: X® and Surround Sound for a variety of audio needs
- Get the home cinema experience with Dolby Atmos, DTS Virtual:X, and Surround Sound
- Rear speakers as well as powered zone b audio options for a stunning home audio experience
- Compatibility with other Onkyo products lets you set up your system however you wish
- No need to buy additional speakers – this is all it takes!
- HDMI input to pass HDR content from streaming services
- Dolby Vision®, HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma), and more on offer
- Six HDMI inputs for connecting BD players or other video sources
- Versatile receiver
- 6 HDMI ports that support 4K
- HLG or Hybrid Log Gamma for exceptionally bright whites and rich blacks
- Wi-Fi enabled so you can enjoy your favorite services from any location in the home
Also read: Onkyo TX-8140
|Power output (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD,1-ch driven)||160 Watt/Ch|
|Power output (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2-ch driven)||80 Watt/Ch|
|THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise)||0.08% (20 Hz–20 kHz, 8 Ohms, 1 Channel Driven, 80 W)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance||200 mV / 47k Ohms (Line)|
|Frequency Response||10 Hz–100 kHz /+ 1 dB, -3 dB (Direct Mode)|
|Tone Control||±10 dB, 20 Hz (Bass) ±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)|
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||109 dB (Line, IHF-A)|
|Speaker Impedance||4 ohms–16 ohms|
|FM||87.5 MHz–107.9 MHz|
|AM||530 kHz–1,710 kHz|
|FM/AM Preset Memory||40 stations|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V~, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||490 Watt|
|Standby Power Consumption||0.1 Watt|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||17.13 x 6.63 x 12.94 inch (43.5 x 16.0 x 32.8 cm)|
|Weight||8.2 kg (18.1 lbs)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||20.69 x 9.44 x 15.94 inch (52.5 x 24.0 x 40.5 cm)|
|Weight||10.5 kg (23.1 lbs)|
The TX-SR494 is your home theater’s hub, delivering high-quality audio and video with a sleek design. The TX-SR494 A/V receiver is perfect for anyone who’s looking to set up their surround sound system and enjoy the latest in home entertainment. With 7 channels, it can handle all your speaker’s needs – no matter if you want 2 front row centered subwoofers or 5 rear satellite speakers behind where the couch usually sits!
This device also comes equipped with HDMI® terminals so that those 3840 x 1080p videos are still watchable even when connected via cable instead of optical audio out from TV tuner thanks again its great feature list like HDR support (High Dynamic Range), 4K 60Hz resolution & 21:9 aspect ratios which make this unit easy to use whether at first glance; on second thoughts over there are many connectivity options ahead. Check Onkyo TX-NR6100 review.
Onkyo TX-SR494 Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I download the manual?
You can download the manual from this link.
Is it available on Amazon?
Yes, it is available on Amazon via this link.
What is the warranty?
Onkyo offers a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
What do I need to get started with the TX-SR494 A/V receiver?
Connect cables between TV and source components* (Blu-ray Disc® player, etc.). Connect cables between power amp and speakers. Turn on TVs and devices connected with HDMI® cable. *If you are not using the preout terminals for bi-amping, set their volume level to a minimum (0).
Can I place my subwoofer anywhere?
The optimal listening position is likely somewhere between directly in front of your screen (“prime seat”) or slightly behind it (“corner” locations), but that’s not always possible. Try different locations around the room until you find the spot where the bass sounds best, regardless of where it looks best.
The TX-SR494 A/V receiver adjusts the level of Zone B speakers automatically, letting you focus on just what you are listening to. It is even possible to listen to 2 channel sources in Zone B without being disturbed by the sound of large surround speakers emitting sounds from the opposite side of the room.
What size speaker can I use with this receiver?
This TX-SR494 A/V Receiver is compatible with front and center speakers ranging in size from small (3-1/2″) 2-way bookshelf models, up to large (13″ 3-way) floor-standing models that reproduce bass below 100 Hz – or any combination in between. A subwoofer output is line level, while speaker output is 70W per channel; some models may require external amplification (not included).
I’m listening to multi-channel surround, but it sounds like some speakers are playing the wrong sounds. How can I fix this?
The receiver outputs the audio signal from different sound areas to correspond to several channels being played back. For example, 2‑channel audio signals will be output from just front left and right speakers when a 2‑channel source is being played back or from front left, center, and right when a 3‑ channel source is being played back. However, if you play 5.1-ch sources with 7 full-range speakers set up in your room, each full-range channel will send the same sound to each speaker. Since the number of speakers is set to 7, effect sounds that are not included in the original surround track will be mixed with the center channel output.
I enjoyed a more enveloping surround experience with my previous receiver because it was able to deliver a more powerful surround sound field. Doesn’t this receiver do that?
No, there isn’t a need for such an ability anymore because Dolby Atmos and DTS: X immersive surround formats can produce virtual multidimensional sound fields from virtually any loudspeaker layout. With these new object-based surround formats, you don’t have to worry about finding or installing additional height or top-surround speakers, nor do you worry about how many speakers you have. With the new Dolby Atmos or DTS: X formats, if 5 height or top surround channels are available from a disc, those same 5 channels will be used for more enveloping sound regardless of the number of speakers in your home theater system!