When it comes to TV dimensions, you are always looking at diagonals. Common sizes for TVs now are anything from 32″ to 100+”, but greater than 50 inches is now considered “large.”
You can find huge flat-screen TVs with up to 200 inches of diagonal measurement. But what does the size – 72 inches in particular – mean? What does it tell you about the TV and its features?
What do 72 Inch TV Dimensions Mean?
A “72 inch TV” actually means 72 inches along with one diagonal measurement.
Though there can be some differences in how manufacturers measure TVs (often to their benefit), the standard is that the overall depth of a flat-screen TV is about 1/8 of its diagonal measurement.
- EXTRAORDINARY CONTRAST: See how deep blacks and bright whites make the difference with Mini LEDS & Quantum Matrix Technology Pro
- 8K UPSCALING: Whatever you watch, the Neo Quantum Processor 8K automatically converts your content to stunning 8K*
- INFINITY ONE DESIGN: Complement your décor with a Smart TV that features elegant, modern lines and an ultra-slim profile
- SOUND THAT MOVES YOU: Discover TV audio that follows the action on screen with Object Tracking Sound+
- BREATHTAKING COLORS: Enjoy a mesmerizing, realistic picture with spectacular clarity with Quantum HDR 32X
- REAL 8K QUANTUM DOT NANOCELL DISPLAY: See brighter depth and detail. Thanks to Real 8K, the best in resolution, combined with our best in backlighting. Over 33 million pixels bring your content to life with unbelievable detail. Games, movies and shows pop like never before with Full Array Dimming Pro, our most advanced LED technology.
- MINI LED: New MiniLED technology is a giant leap forward in LCD TV. MiniLED technology uses smaller LEDs to maximize precise luminance, a higher level of contrast and deeper blacks due to increased dimming zones.
- a9 GEN 4 AI PROCESSOR 8K: The a9 Gen 4 AI Processor 8K is specifically engineered to power 8K performance, detecting and enhancing every detail you see on screen. Your non-8K content looks like near 8K with AI 8K Upscaling. Plus, AI Picture Pro and AI Sound Pro give you clearer, smoother images and maximum sound quality.
- HOME CINEMA EXPERIENCE: Get breathtaking picture and audio that makes you feel like you're in the action with Cinema HDR, Dolby Vision IQ & Dolby Atmos. See movies exactly how directors intended with Filmmaker Mode.And with built-in access to Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV+, Disney+ and LG channels, your favorite content is at your fingertips.
- ULTIMATE GAMEPLAY: Experience gaming like never before with features that help you beat the competition. Game Optimizer gives you easier access to all your game settings, the latest HDMI allows for fast gaming speeds and you'll get low input lag and fast response times with Auto Low-Latency Mode and HGiG.
So, a 72-inch TV would have an overall depth of under 9 inches.
This can help determine the size of your TV stand or other furniture placement – you may need a specific place to put it and measure from corner to corner (though this doesn’t need to be exact since most TVs won’t sit directly against the wall).
Why you should consider buying a 72 inch TV?
A 72 inch TV is a great way to get the best viewing experience. The latest models come with high-definition screens, built-in DVD players, and other features to make your viewing experience as enjoyable as possible.
You can choose different TV styles, including a flat-screen or a curved screen. Make sure that when buying a TV for the first time, you buy one big enough, so it does not feel crowded on top of your furniture.
If you have extra space in your room for a larger set, then going with the biggest size will be worth it because there is no such thing as too much screen space!
Purchasing an inexpensive television may sound tempting, but this type of purchase will likely cost more in the long run. A quality television will not only last longer but also better display your favorite shows and movies in high definition.
- 4K ULED: Like great, but better. The 75U6HF has our exclusive ULED technologies. They boost color, contrast, brightness, motion… we could go on. It's the TV your old TV wants to be.
- QUANTUM DOT WIDE COLOR GAMUT: Quantum Dot produces purer, richer, more brilliant and accurate colors than a regular LED TV. Creating over a billion color combinations brings vibrant images to life in a way non-QLED TVs can't.
- FIRE TV BUILT-IN: With Fire TV built-in, you can enjoy a world of entertainment from apps like Prime Video, Netflix, Disney plus, Hulu, and HBO Max. Plus, stream for free with Freevee, Pluto TV, Tubi, and more. Subscription may be required.
- PEAK BRIGHTNESS / FULL ARRAY LOCAL DIMMING ZONES: This television offers up-to-600 nits peak brightness across up to 220 local dimming zones. Above average peak brightness and local dimming are critical to correctly reproducing HDR content.
- DOLBY VISION HDR, HDR10, AND HDR10 PLUS: Transform your TV into an entertainment powerhouse. The image technology from cinemas, now brought directly to your home, provide amazing realism that you'll experience like never before.
Height of a 72 inch TV
The heights of TVs are usually much shorter than their widths, so if you have a very wide living room, this could be good news for you! After all, you will probably have to place it away from the wall, so everyone has enough space in front of it.
The height does not affect the viewing distance too much – only about 1 inch is added per every 10 inches of display diagonal (so a 38-inch TV would require 38-39 inches of height). Also, read about the best tv recliners.
Width of a 72-inch TV
The width of a TV is usually around 2.5 inches more than its height (for example, a 38-inch model will measure around 40.5-41 inches in width).
This depends on the manufacturer; some models vary, so you should always double-check before buying anything!
The distance from the wall where to put a 72 inch TV
Since the depth of TVs is usually proportionate to their widths, for a 72 inch TV, you would probably need at least 60 inches of space since its width will be around 70-71 inches.
This means that you won’t have to put it too close to the wall but make sure there are no objects or furniture behind it which could block the view.
Remember that most people sit about 1-2 feet from the TV, so the viewing distance depends on you and your room size.
Depth of a 72-inch tv
A deeper TV means it won’t look as good when viewed from a very short distance since it creates a “fat” effect – this is more noticeable on smaller models.
Therefore, for a 72 inch TV, your minimum recommended viewing distance would be around 6-7 feet (or 2 meters).
The power consumption of TVs is usually measured in watts. Still, you shouldn’t worry about it too much since manufacturers are now required to provide us with an Energy Guide label with their products, which includes all the important data.
You can find this label on any TV, so if you’re interested in knowing, then go ahead and look for it (if you can’t find it – check our other article where we discuss how to spot the best TVs).
- 【Suitable for TV Up To 70’’】Measuring 63 x 16 x 24.5 inch (L x W x H), and capable of bearing 132 lb on the top, this TV console table is suitable for TVs up to 70’’. Please note this dimension limit before purchasing to save your time and avoid unnecessary trouble.
- 【Built-in 4-AV Power Outlet】Still bothered by outlet shortage or not-long-enough equipment cables? This vintage media shelf is the solution! We provide a built-in 1500w 4-AC power outlet with a switch, a hook-loop, a 2m double-insulated round power supply cord, and a 3-plug, sparing you from the head-scratching little trouble!
- 【Great Weight Capacity】Combining selected materials and reasonable structure, this vintage TV console is capable of bearing 132 lb on the top and 40 kg/ 88 lb on each layer.
- 【Spacious Storage Space】Under the tabletop arranges a 2-layer open shelf. Without the limitation of side walls and compartments, you can arrange any items you like, such as CDs, remote-control, magazines, decorations, and frames on this shelf.
- 【Simple & Tasteful】Rustic wood tone, crisp lines and simple structure, this TV console breathes an industrial atmosphere. It can easily blend into diverse decor styles or match your existing furniture, an elegant and low-pitched existence in your space.
If you have an upper floor, there is no reason to worry, but if your living room or bedroom is on the first level of your house, check this little specification.
Some models can weigh up to 180 pounds, making them harder to carry around and mount on the wall (especially since their mounts are usually sold separately and rarely included for free).
The weight of a TV depends on its materials – more metal usually equals higher mass. A good example would be the recent LG OLED TVs which come with beautiful, slim frames made entirely from metal.
Advisable Viewing Distance
For a 72-inch TV, you will probably need at least 7 feet (2 meters) of viewing distance since smaller models can be watched from as close as 3 feet.
If you sit any closer, you might get a distorted picture and lose part of the original image (due to over-scanning). This is unpleasant, and most people who watch TV from very close usually do it because they can’t afford to buy a larger model.
The viewing angle of TVs has measured in degrees, and the standard in most models is around 178°, meaning that if you’re sitting in front of your screen and looking at it straight on, then everyone else should see roughly the same thing as you.
Unfortunately, this isn’t always true – especially when discussing bigger screens or lower resolutions.
This spec is important since when natural light comes into your room during the day, you might start noticing how this changes the way colors and images appear on your TV.
TV stands for large TVs
If you are looking for TV stands that can accommodate larger screen sizes, buying the biggest one is what you should be doing.
This way, it can cover as much space on the wall as possible without appearing too crowded.
- 【Easy to assemble】Easy to assemble as 1-2-3,Quick 5-step installation, One-person stand-alone installation, 15-minute installation.
- 【Ample Display and Storage Space】15.8'' D * 68'' W * 20''H TV stand can accommodate TV within 32/40/45/55/60/65/75 inches, offers ample storage space, allowing you to store DVDs, CD collections, gaming devices, remote controls, books, magazines and a variety of other items with no problem.
- 【Cool smart led lights & Power Outlet】 Entertainment center adds RGB LED strip with wireless remote control, 20 colors and 20 dynamic modes can be selected to create an immersive home theater effect and provide an excellent viewing experience.The LED TV stand charging station includes 4 3-prong AC outlets and 2 USB ports
- 【Sturdy Structure Design】TV stands structure has been tested professionally, stable and firm. Adjustable foot pads are provided in the middle of the bottom, enhanced stability and durability, with a high load capacity up to 100lb.
- 【INSTALLATION AND SERVICE】 Assembly instructions are included in the package, no other special tools are required. We also provide you with spare screws. Extra Long 18 Month Warranty brings you 100% Satisfaction. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email us.
- Material: Medium-Density Fiberboard engineered wood
- Finish: Navy blue
- Designed for most 60", 65", 70" flat panel TVs, up to 75 inches
- Large Storage: 2 cabinets reveal concealed storage, perfect for keeping your space clutter-free.
- Adjustable Shelves: Customize the shelving to suit your needs, providing flexibility for different-sized items.
Another reason why this may be necessary is that many times there might be some obstruction where getting an even bigger stand would make more sense than dealing with different places to put your components depending on whether or not they are sticking out past the top, bottom, or sides of the furniture piece.
Of course, if you have enough room to get a 72-inch TV, you should also be looking at a bigger stand.
In any case, the best thing you can do is to take measurements of not only your room and your TV stand but also the wall where it will be placed so that you can determine what size piece will perfectly fit.
This way, regardless of whether or not anything obstructs any part of the television, it will still look beautiful without feeling too cramped or too big for its environment.
Bigger models have unique issues concerning components like sound since they might use larger speakers, which can take up more space than usual. And lastly, many larger TVs will not be able to fit comfortably inside small rooms with little space to work with.
This is why you should always take measurements of the living room where it will be placed before buying any entertainment center or TV stand that may accommodate it.
Other Things to consider before buying a 72 inch TV
Your TV and furniture can fit in the same room, and there is enough space for people to walk around.
The height of your table or sofa won’t be too close to the TV – otherwise, people will have a hard time watching it.
If you plan on mounting the TV on the wall, make sure you measure beforehand (or find out if it’s possible) and also purchase a stand or mount separately – as these are rarely included with TVs for free.
If you’re buying a new TV, look for an Energy Guide label and check how much power it has and its distance from the walls (this is important if you live on the first floor).
Suppose you’re buying an older or second-hand TV.
In that case, it’s worth checking out the following specs: what type of display panel is it using, how long has it been in use, does it have any visual defects (burns on the screen, for example), does its remote control work perfectly and is anything included in the deal (like mounts or stands).
Last but not least – check out our other articles where we discuss parameters like display panel type and native resolutions.
These can determine a lot about picture quality and overall experience while watching TV, so they’re worth looking into before making any final decision.
- INTELLIGENT TV PROCESSING– The 4K HDR Processor X1 delivers a picture that is smooth and clear, full of rich colors and detailed contrast.
- WIDE SPECTRUM OF COLORS- Reproduces over a billion accurate colors resulting in picture quality that is natural and precise, and closer than ever to real life, enhanced by TRILUMINOS Pro.
- PREMIUM SMART TV– Google TV with Google Assistant organizes your favorite content all in one place. Stream from Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV, HBO Max, Peacock and many more. Also, stream from your Apple device with AirPlay 2 support.
- ENHANCED ENTERTAINMENT– Experience immersive and engaging cinematic content as the creator intended with support for Dolby Vision & Atmos.
- ALL YOUR GAME SETTINGS IN ONE PLACE– Game Menu puts all your gaming picture settings and exclusive assist features in a single easy-to-manage interface.
As you can see, quite a few technical terms can be confusing for most people. That is why we wrote this article – to help you understand what specs matter and how they impact your overall experience with your new TV.
Now that you have all this knowledge, mostly about the width of a 72-inch TV, it’s time to think about other things like its purpose so you can decide on the model that will fit your lifestyle best.
So if you have enough room in your living room and buying a 72 inch TV seems like a great idea, then go ahead and buy one! These TVs are completely different from their smaller counterparts even though they might seem similar at first glance. The reason is that the huge screen size allows for more immersion and a much better viewing experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do they make 72-inch TVs anymore?
Yes, TV brands still manufacture 72-inch sets. However, they are very limited.
What are actual dimensions of 72 inch TV?
A 72-inch display has a height of 35.2 inches and a width of 62.6 inches.
How high should a 72 inch TV be mounted?
The ideal mounting height for a 72-inch TV is 72 inches from the bottom of the floor to the center of the screen.
How far should you sit away from a 72 inch TV?
The ideal viewing distance for a 72 inch TV is 8.5 to 16 feet.
Can a TV be too big for a room?
Having a television that is too large for your viewing area is like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. It can be uncomfortable and make it difficult to see the screen. When choosing a television, pick one that will fit comfortably in your space and won’t overwhelm the room.
Can you mount a TV on drywall?
When it comes to mounting a TV, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. If you’re mounting it on a brick or stone facade, it can be tricky to find the right studs.
And even if you find studs, they might not be strong enough to support the weight of your TV. That’s why it’s always best to use a specifically designed mount for TVs. Mounts designed for TVs will have the appropriate support and strength to ensure your TV stays safely in place.