When it comes to TV dimensions, you are always looking at diagonals. Common sizes for TVs now are anything from 32″ to 100+”, but greater than 50 inches is now considered “large.”
You can find huge flat-screen TVs with up to 200 inches of diagonal measurement. But what does the size – 72 inches in particular – mean? What does it tell you about the TV and its features?
What do 72 Inch TV Dimensions Mean?
A “72 inch TV” actually means 72 inches along with one diagonal measurement.
Though there can be some differences in how manufacturers measure TVs (often to their benefit), the standard is that the overall depth of a flat-screen TV is about 1/8 of its diagonal measurement.
- QUANTUM MATRIX TECHNOLOGY WITH MINI LED: A brilliantly intense picture powered by tiny hyper-focused light cells.
- SAMSUNG NEO QUANTUM PROCESSOR 8K: Upgrade every picture to 8K with multi-layered neural networks.
- INFINITY ONE DESIGN: Beauty derived from simplicity of design.
- OBJECT TRACKING SOUND+: Dynamic sound that tracks and follows on screen action.
- QUANTUM HDR 32X: Spectacular clarity brings the director's vision to life.* *The range of Quantum HDR claims luminance based on internal testing standards and is subject to change according to viewing environment or specific conditions
- HANDPICKED BY AMAZON: They did the research so you don’t have to..Bluetooth 4.2. Power Supply (V) AC110-120V 50/60Hz
- CRYSTAL PROCESSOR 4K: See every detail with stunning clarity; The powerful processor, specifically tuned for Crystal Displays, converts what you're watching to 4K
- BUILT-IN VOICE ASSISTANTS: Access a world of content beyond streaming; Schedule recordings, search, auto-adjust gaming settings, seamlessly connect with a host of compatible devices, and control your smart TV with your voice, all with one remote
- HDR: Enjoy a whole new world of vivid color and detail found in newer films and streaming service content with HDR, also known as High Dynamic Range
- MOTION XCELERATOR: With minimized blur and enhanced motion clarity, Motion Xcelerator catches all the fast-moving action, whether you're watching sports or taking advantage of new gaming capabilities
So, a 72-inch TV would have an overall depth of under 9 inches.
This can help determine the size of your TV stand or other furniture placement – you may need a specific place to put it and measure from corner to corner (though this doesn’t need to be exact since most TVs won’t sit directly against the wall).
Why you should consider buying a 72 inch TV?
A 72 inch TV is a great way to get the best viewing experience. The latest models come with high-definition screens, built-in DVD players, and other features to make your viewing experience as enjoyable as possible.
You can choose different TV styles, including a flat-screen or a curved screen. Make sure that when buying a TV for the first time, you buy one big enough, so it does not feel crowded on top of your furniture.
If you have extra space in your room for a larger set, then going with the biggest size will be worth it because there is no such thing as too much screen space!
Purchasing an inexpensive television may sound tempting, but this type of purchase will likely cost more in the long run. A quality television will not only last longer but also better display your favorite shows and movies in high definition.
- Product Dimensions: With Stand 72" W x 45.1" H x 15.2" D | Without Stand 72" W x 41.5" D x 2.4" H
- Q Contrast: Experience dramatic depth from the darkest to brightest scenes.
- Q HDR: See colors in movies and shows pop, just as the director intended, in stunning high dynamic range.
- Q Style: A thoughtful design with a clean cable solution allows you to focus on a TV without the clutter.
- Ambient Mode: With our new Ambient Mode, you can elevate your living room with decorative content, useful information, your own photos, and even some background music. You won’t notice the TV on the wall as it blends perfectly with your décor.
Height of a 72 inch TV
The heights of TVs are usually much shorter than their widths, so if you have a very wide living room, this could be good news for you! After all, you will probably have to place it away from the wall, so everyone has enough space in front of it.
The height does not affect the viewing distance too much – only about 1 inch is added per every 10 inches of display diagonal (so a 38-inch TV would require 38-39 inches of height). Also, read about the best tv recliners.
Width of a 72-inch TV
The width of a TV is usually around 2.5 inches more than its height (for example, a 38-inch model will measure around 40.5-41 inches in width).
This depends on the manufacturer; some models vary, so you should always double-check before buying anything!
The distance from the wall where to put a 72 inch TV
Since the depth of TVs is usually proportionate to their widths, for a 72 inch TV, you would probably need at least 60 inches of space since its width will be around 70-71 inches.
This means that you won’t have to put it too close to the wall but make sure there are no objects or furniture behind it which could block the view.
Remember that most people sit about 1-2 feet from the TV, so the viewing distance depends on you and your room size.
Depth of a 72-inch tv
A deeper TV means it won’t look as good when viewed from a very short distance since it creates a “fat” effect – this is more noticeable on smaller models.
Therefore, for a 72 inch TV, your minimum recommended viewing distance would be around 6-7 feet (or 2 meters).
The power consumption of TVs is usually measured in watts. Still, you shouldn’t worry about it too much since manufacturers are now required to provide us with an Energy Guide label with their products, which includes all the important data.
You can find this label on any TV, so if you’re interested in knowing, then go ahead and look for it (if you can’t find it – check our other article where we discuss how to spot the best TVs).
- Cinematic 4K entertainment - Get true-to-life picture quality and rich, brilliant colors with support for 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision, HDR 10, HLG, and Dolby Digital Plus, and control the TV hands-free with Alexa.
- HDR like you've never seen - Dolby Vision brings spectacular color, contrast, clarity, and brightness to your screen.
- Hands-free TV with Alexa - With built-in microphones, just ask to turn on the TV, and find, launch, and control content, so you can put down the remote.
- Watch what you want - Stream over 1 million movies and TV episodes. Watch favorites with subscriptions to Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and more.
- All your entertainment in one place - Watch live and free TV, play video games, and stream music.
If you have an upper floor, there is no reason to worry, but if your living room or bedroom is on the first level of your house, check this little specification.
Some models can weigh up to 180 pounds, making them harder to carry around and mount on the wall (especially since their mounts are usually sold separately and rarely included for free).
The weight of a TV depends on its materials – more metal usually equals higher mass. A good example would be the recent LG OLED TVs which come with beautiful, slim frames made entirely from metal.
Advisable Viewing Distance
For a 72-inch TV, you will probably need at least 7 feet (2 meters) of viewing distance since smaller models can be watched from as close as 3 feet.
If you sit any closer, you might get a distorted picture and lose part of the original image (due to over-scanning). This is unpleasant, and most people who watch TV from very close usually do it because they can’t afford to buy a larger model.
The viewing angle of TVs has measured in degrees, and the standard in most models is around 178°, meaning that if you’re sitting in front of your screen and looking at it straight on, then everyone else should see roughly the same thing as you.
Unfortunately, this isn’t always true – especially when discussing bigger screens or lower resolutions.
This spec is important since when natural light comes into your room during the day, you might start noticing how this changes the way colors and images appear on your TV.
TV stands for large TVs
If you are looking for TV stands that can accommodate larger screen sizes, buying the biggest one is what you should be doing.
This way, it can cover as much space on the wall as possible without appearing too crowded.
- DIMENSIONS: 17.5" D x 72" W x 26" H
- Handcrafted with care using the finest quality solid wood
- Hand-finished with a Dark Mahogany Brown stain and a protective NC lacquer to accentuate and highlight the grain and the uniqueness of each piece of furniture
- Features a large centrally located open area with one (1) flip down drawer, one (1) pull out drawer as well as four (4) storage spaces with tempered glass doors
- Extra wide TV Stand is perfect for TVs up to 80 inches, features cord management cut-outs for easy installation of TV and media components
- TRADITIONAL TV STAND: No matter your decor style, this classic TV stand will fit right in. It's finished in a two-tone, gently distressed effect in weathered oak and antique white for charming appeal
- HANDSOMELY CRAFTED: TV monitor stand is made of veneers, pine wood and engineered wood. Accented with black faceted hardware
- VERSATILE STYLE: This light neutral color combination easily matches all kinds of colors and decor styles, whether yours is modern farmhouse or traditional
- GREAT FOR FLAT SCREENS: Entertainment center is designed with 3 cabinets, 6 adjustable shelves and cutouts for wire management. Unit measures 74" W x 18" D x 36" H
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Easy-to-follow instructions and hardware included. Screwdriver (not included) is required for full assembly
Another reason why this may be necessary is that many times there might be some obstruction where getting an even bigger stand would make more sense than dealing with different places to put your components depending on whether or not they are sticking out past the top, bottom, or sides of the furniture piece.
Of course, if you have enough room to get a 72-inch TV, you should also be looking at a bigger stand.
In any case, the best thing you can do is to take measurements of not only your room and your TV stand but also the wall where it will be placed so that you can determine what size piece will perfectly fit.
This way, regardless of whether or not anything obstructs any part of the television, it will still look beautiful without feeling too cramped or too big for its environment.
Bigger models have unique issues concerning components like sound since they might use larger speakers, which can take up more space than usual. And lastly, many larger TVs will not be able to fit comfortably inside small rooms with little space to work with.
This is why you should always take measurements of the living room where it will be placed before buying any entertainment center or TV stand that may accommodate it.
Other Things to consider before buying a 72 inch TV
Your TV and furniture can fit in the same room, and there is enough space for people to walk around.
The height of your table or sofa won’t be too close to the TV – otherwise, people will have a hard time watching it.
If you plan on mounting the TV on the wall, make sure you measure beforehand (or find out if it’s possible) and also purchase a stand or mount separately – as these are rarely included with TVs for free.
If you’re buying a new TV, look for an Energy Guide label and check how much power it has and its distance from the walls (this is important if you live on the first floor).
Suppose you’re buying an older or second-hand TV.
In that case, it’s worth checking out the following specs: what type of display panel is it using, how long has it been in use, does it have any visual defects (burns on the screen, for example), does its remote control work perfectly and is anything included in the deal (like mounts or stands).
Last but not least – check out our other articles where we discuss parameters like display panel type and native resolutions.
These can determine a lot about picture quality and overall experience while watching TV, so they’re worth looking into before making any final decision.
- INTELLIGENT TV PROCESSING– The 4K HDR Processor X1 delivers a picture that is smooth and clear, full of rich colors and detailed contrast.
- WIDE SPECTRUM OF COLORS- Reproduces over a billion accurate colors resulting in picture quality that is natural and precise, and closer than ever to real life, enhanced by TRILUMINOS Pro.
- PREMIUM SMART TV– Google TV with Google Assistant organizes your favorite content all in one place. Stream from Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV, HBO Max, Peacock and many more. Also, stream from your Apple device with AirPlay 2 support.
- ENHANCED ENTERTAINMENT– Experience immersive and engaging cinematic content as the creator intended with support for Dolby Vision & Atmos.
- WORKS WITH ALEXA – Through an Alexa enabled device, ask Alexa to change channels, adjust volume, and turn your TV on/off.
As you can see, quite a few technical terms can be confusing for most people. That is why we wrote this article – to help you understand what specs matter and how they impact your overall experience with your new TV.
Now that you have all this knowledge, mostly about the width of a 72-inch TV, it’s time to think about other things like its purpose so you can decide on the model that will fit your lifestyle best.
So if you have enough room in your living room and buying a 72 inch TV seems like a great idea, then go ahead and buy one! These TVs are completely different from their smaller counterparts even though they might seem similar at first glance. The reason is that the huge screen size allows for more immersion and a much better viewing experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do they make 72-inch TVs anymore?
Yes, TV brands still manufacture 72-inch sets. However, they are very limited.
What are actual dimensions of 72 inch TV?
A 72-inch display has a height of 35.2 inches and a width of 62.6 inches.
How high should a 72 inch TV be mounted?
The ideal mounting height for a 72-inch TV is 72 inches from the bottom of the floor to the center of the screen.
How far should you sit away from a 72 inch TV?
The ideal viewing distance for a 72 inch TV is 8.5 to 16 feet.
Can a TV be too big for a room?
Having a television that is too large for your viewing area is like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. It can be uncomfortable and make it difficult to see the screen. When choosing a television, pick one that will fit comfortably in your space and won’t overwhelm the room.
Can you mount a TV on drywall?
When it comes to mounting a TV, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. If you’re mounting it on a brick or stone facade, it can be tricky to find the right studs.
And even if you find studs, they might not be strong enough to support the weight of your TV. That’s why it’s always best to use a specifically designed mount for TVs. Mounts designed for TVs will have the appropriate support and strength to ensure your TV stays safely in place.